1979 Honda CB750 Bobber build

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Re: 1979 Honda CB750 Bobber build

Post by jonester123 »

Well, worked my butt off getting my back workshop all cleared out of my worktables so i could put the bike table . Getting bike all setup again slowly, Now that i am more organized i will see the bike build sitting there to keep me working on it more. Need to take an hour or so to get the front tire mounted on rim, been so busy with bodywork so need to try to get more done on the bike build also. :D :clap: :dance: http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0382.jpg http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0380.jpg
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Metalbender, that would be great if you could machine up some solid stock sleeves 3 of them . Size of new tubing is 0.62" and old tubing is 0.61" inside tubing sizes, let me now what shipping costs would be to Armstrong B.C Canada V0E-1B7. Thanks. :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Metalbender
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey all, I am finally getting to build my bike the way I want. I settled for stock metric bikes for all these years and I am finally getting to build (modify) my custom bike. I can't afford a Harley so im building an 83 honda shadow. So far I have raked the neck to 40 degrees and am in the process of building a custom set of forks for it. I originally wanted a girder and gathered all the material for the build and then discovered the spirder front end that I am currently working on. I am a fabricator at heart and can gas, stick, tig, and mig weld. Love doing anything with metal. I don't have a garage so my bike is in my (shop) living room currently..lol quite a conversation piece I must add.. I am divorced and it's just me and my 15 year old daughter so things get a little crazy around here sometime. I currently hold the (cool dad) award due to the shop situation..lol Love the site and the information and look forward to helping out any way I can. I have learned a lot from your information that your sharing and am thankfull someone wanted to share the info with us beginners.

Post by Metalbender »

Hey no problem, how long do you want them to be? Or do you want me to just make them like 6" and you cut them to size?
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Hi man, i think about 5" long should be good. As long as they slip into each size tubing about 1" or so inside, does that sound safe enough. :clap: :dance:
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Well, decided i better put some paint on my rear fender since it was trying to start with some surface rust. All i had is some yellow spray paint on hand so i put three good coats on it for now. :D http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0384.jpg
Metalbender
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey all, I am finally getting to build my bike the way I want. I settled for stock metric bikes for all these years and I am finally getting to build (modify) my custom bike. I can't afford a Harley so im building an 83 honda shadow. So far I have raked the neck to 40 degrees and am in the process of building a custom set of forks for it. I originally wanted a girder and gathered all the material for the build and then discovered the spirder front end that I am currently working on. I am a fabricator at heart and can gas, stick, tig, and mig weld. Love doing anything with metal. I don't have a garage so my bike is in my (shop) living room currently..lol quite a conversation piece I must add.. I am divorced and it's just me and my 15 year old daughter so things get a little crazy around here sometime. I currently hold the (cool dad) award due to the shop situation..lol Love the site and the information and look forward to helping out any way I can. I have learned a lot from your information that your sharing and am thankfull someone wanted to share the info with us beginners.

Post by Metalbender »

This is my first build so i'm far from an expert but I read that slugs should be double the tube width. So if your using a 1" tube you would want a 2" slug minimum. Maz could prolly be able to give us some pointers there.
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

My new tubing size is 1 1/8" wall thickness .125, so one inch solid stock machined down to the sizes i mentioned should be fine. As long as the sleeves are a nice good fit, then i can plug weld them in good and solid. I printed out the sleeve information so i will try to find it and send you a copy of how it should be done. :D :think:
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Metalbender, found my copy of sleeve or slug information. If you would like a copy of it let me now your email address and i will send it to you. :D :auto-biker: http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0391.jpg
Metalbender
NewB

Post by Metalbender »

Hey, sent you a pm, I can ship your slugs on Monday just need an address
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Thanks Metalbender, address is #15-934 Hutley Rd Armstrong B.C Canada V0E-1B7 :D :dance: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Well been shopping looking for a descent light setup for my chopper build area in workshop, found a 500 watt halogen stand light that plugs into outlets and i can move it around workshops if needed. Good price on sale for $40.00 and the tube lasts 5000 hours. :D :dance: http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0401.jpg http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0400.jpg
Dan.in.Can
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Dan, i'm 28 years old and i live in Ontario Canada. i grew up in an old school house that my dad fixed up out in the country, just outside a very small town called Hillsdale. i spent most of my childhood working at the farm up the road, so i guess you could say im a country boy. school and me never quite saw eye to eye, not that i wasn't smart enough, but i had a big issue with authority, so i ended up dropping out of highschool to start working in construction. spent about 6 years as a general contractor, but most of the work was in Toronto and i got tired of commuting. now i'm a heavy equipment operator, i spend my summers diggin holes, and my winters plowing snow. i do everything from floating equipment and driving truck, to digging basements and installing septics. I also do quite a bit of maintinence and repairs on our trucks and equipment. thats where i learned to weld (mig & stick) as well as basic mechanical and fabrication skills. i've been with this company for 6 years now. i've been married 7 years now, and we have 2 boys 10 and 12 yrs old. i spend as much of my spare time out on the bike as possible. im riding a F model VTX1800, i try to get away on at least one long trip every year. last couple years me and the guys have rode to north carolina, i love those mountain roads. I've allways dreamed of building a bike, but never thought it was actually a possibility untill i found the CBH website. i read through the OSC build and it completely blew me away, i then read through every article on the site and now i'm a huge fan. everything from the attitude and idea, to the work thats done is fantastic. i'm starting my first bike build real soon, ive got my bender die ordered from jd2 and i've started building the CBH bender. even just skimming through this message board provides more usefull tech knowlege about choppers than the entire web. now im chasing a dream, thanks CBH.

Post by Dan.in.Can »

you might know a way around it, but figured i'd mention it. i recently ordered my die set from jd2 and had it shipped, it was only $40 shipping, i thought that wasn't too bad untill it showed up and there was a extra $98 brokerage fee i had to pay to get it. just a heads up, the shipping/brokerage might be more than having them made locally.
if you have two or three wheels and a smile on your face then its all good
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Hi Dan.In.Can, i get my jd2 bender dies from tmrcustoms. Good prices but yes it still costed me an extra hundred dollars for shipping etc, they get you one way or another. If you want quality you need to pay for it i guess. Metal bender is makeing me tubeing sleeves for my hardtail build not a die, should be relatively cheap for very small items to ship etc. :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Well, back to the jd2 bender 8 ton air hydraulic ram mounting bracket fabrication. Seeing what materials i got to figure out the bracket mounting, got to get this thing built somehow so i can get useing the bender for my hardtail build etc. :D :dance: http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0408.jpg
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Here is another progress picture of bike being setup in bike build area only. :clap: :dance: http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac13 ... 0_0409.jpg

Return to “Project Build-Logs”