1979 Honda CB750 Bobber build

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Re: 1979 Honda CB750 Bobber build

Post by sleepyonthree »

Some stuff posted by Krymis on TCU
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (13.3 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (14.06 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (22.77 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
frame_alterations_1.jpg
frame_alterations_1.jpg (209.12 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
frame_alterations_2.jpg
frame_alterations_2.jpg (169.07 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
frame_alterations_3.jpg
frame_alterations_3.jpg (117.06 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

The Rest
Attachments
frame_alterations_4.jpg
frame_alterations_4.jpg (111.19 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
frame_alterations_5.1.jpg
frame_alterations_5.1.jpg (46.69 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
frame_alterations_5.2.jpg
frame_alterations_5.2.jpg (67.21 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
slug1.1.jpg
slug1.1.jpg (107.07 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
slug2.1.jpg
slug2.1.jpg (159.56 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Thanks alot sleepyonthree, i also have information from maz and others how to do it. I was just wanting to make sure the material i posted on last post was the right stuff to use before i buy it. :clap: :dance:
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Post by jimmib »

Thomas, why don't you check with your machine shop? They probably have 1" cold roll in stock. That way you won't have to buy it and have it shipped.
Jim
Whoa!...Musta stood up too fast...
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
An optomist is no more than a pessimist with an idea.
Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.....
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hi jimmib, i was thinking of getting my machine shop to sell me some. I am going to give them a call and see how much, how long should each slug be to be safe was thinking 5" long each times 3 slugs needed. :D :think:
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

at least twice the diamater of the tube is usually enough a little more if possible
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Hi curt, just called my machine shop and they can get me 1" cold rolled round steel. So i got a price for (3)- 6"long pieces for slugs and the cost will be $15.00 not bad at all. :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

It is better to use tubing of the same gauge, you maintain the same flex that way.
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Hi Bigjim, so i can use the same size tubeing that i am useing for the hardtail frame build i already have. Cutt three 6" long pieces then just machine down each end to fit into new tubeing and old frame tubeing. I am more than likely over complicating this, so i will cutt the new 1.125"x120 wall tubeing to use for my slugs to keep an even flex along joints. Sounds reasonably easy. :clap: :dance: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

No....wall thickness of slugs should be same as tube you are slugging together.Dude....just make a drawing,bring a section of the old frame if you still have it.A section of the new tubing,cause they will be able to measure the id more acturately, & tell the guy what you want done & they will make it.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Thanks Jeff, i have a few pieces of old frame tubeing and lots of the new frame tubeing for the hardtail build. I will take them into my machine shop with a drawing of what i want them to do. :D :whistle:
jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Hi guys and gals, well my new front avon am26 roadrider 90/90/19" tire arrived this morning. So i guess the fun begins again mounting new tube and tire ontothe front comstar rim. :D :dance:

Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

Of course you could always finish fabricating your new frame jig first and then build a brand new frame..... :think:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

jonester123
Builder

Post by jonester123 »

Hi maz, if i am haveing a hard time just learning to build the hardtail basically half a frame. If i can get this done right and safely then it will help build the confidence and i will have more knowledge on what i am doing plus learning to bend the tubeing etc. Gotta take baby steps but i will get there. :D :think:
Neo Dutch
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Intereseted in all thing motorcycling, particularly modifications folk do to their bikes. Admire quality design and workmanship. Not so keen on bolt-on parts, but they have their place in the world. Not everyone can be a master machinist, welder or spray painter, but that won't stop me from trying. Great admirer of master engravers and have been working hard for several years to improve my skills in this most difficult of crafts. Also enjoy pin striping, and am fairly good at it.
Favourite food is Spam. Here's some good recipes www.pinheadlounge.com/neodutch . Kill Flanders.

Stuff comes back.

Post by Neo Dutch »

:banana-gotpics: I made up the drawings at the top of the page a few years ago for another forum. Good to see someone thought they were useful enough to save. :dance:
The tell tale tickle of ashphalt on the sagging underbelly of my lowered expectations.

Return to “Project Build-Logs”