L.A.M.F.'s Build (re-post)

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
lamf
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: it's me, gary a. from michigan ... haven't logged into the handbook forum fro a while ... tried to login in under my lamf screen name ... can't get in ... ??? ... let me in dan! ... you there big jim?

L.A.M.F.'s Build (re-post)

Post by lamf »

I've been poking around here on the site more lately. More time on my hands. Kids are grown. Semi-retired.
Feeling nostalgic. Thought it was a shame most of the builds were destroyed in that website hack years ago. So, I was thinking I may try to re-post some of my old build from 2006-2008. Still have a bunch of the old pics.
We'll see if I can live up to my aim ... Best laid plans of mice and men, ya know.
Anyway, here's how it looks now. All black. A few mods, changes, and additions.
image00003a (2).jpg
image00003a (2).jpg (274.25 KiB) Viewed 5205 times
Last edited by lamf on Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
息をするたびに人生を知る
Iki o suru tabi ni jinsei o shiru
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: L.A.M.F.'s Build (re-post)

Post by curt »

looks good
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

sexy. just sexy.

i'd definitely be interested in seeing it again. that was a real fun period on the internet.

reminds me that i've gotta post up a bunch of stuff too.

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I remember when you were building this...Nice
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
lamf
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: it's me, gary a. from michigan ... haven't logged into the handbook forum fro a while ... tried to login in under my lamf screen name ... can't get in ... ??? ... let me in dan! ... you there big jim?

Post by lamf »

March 21, 2006
Started with a Softail frame I picked up. 43 degree rake. 5" up. 6" stretch. Wide-tire swing-arm. The main mounts were on there, for motor, trans, foot controls, oil pan, etc., but I'd have to weld on a bunch more brackets, bungs and mounts throughout the build, and modify some existing.
fc ece nf 7 00020.jpg
fc ece nf 7 00020.jpg (10.49 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
Last edited by lamf on Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
息をするたびに人生を知る
lamf
NewB

Post by lamf »

March 22, 2006.
Anxious to begin, so installed what few parts I had just to feel like I was actually getting a start. Put on the oil pan, pivot bolt, spacer, bearings, splash guard, swing arm, rear axle, and axle covers. The pivot bolt spacer was too wide, had to take it down a bit. Also the openings for the pivot bolt bearings were too tight, so I had to open those up a bit as well to fit the bearings in.
... baby steps.
fc ece nf 7 00072 (2).jpg
fc ece nf 7 00072 (2).jpg (106.22 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
fc ece nf 7 00069 (2).jpg
fc ece nf 7 00069 (2).jpg (101.36 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
息をするたびに人生を知る
lamf
NewB

Post by lamf »

4-19-2006
Put on the softail shocks.
fc ece nf 7 00013.jpg
fc ece nf 7 00013.jpg (66.39 KiB) Viewed 5175 times
息をするたびに人生を知る
lamf
NewB

Post by lamf »

4-29-2006
Installed the neck cups. Used that trick with the long bolt and nut. Went in no prob.
fc ece nf 7 00014 (2).jpg
fc ece nf 7 00014 (2).jpg (76.8 KiB) Viewed 5175 times
息をするたびに人生を知る
lamf
NewB

Post by lamf »

5-2-2006
Got my wheels and tires ... Almost a roller, but first I have to figure out the front-end.
fc ece nf 7 00073 (2).jpg
fc ece nf 7 00073 (2).jpg (91.67 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
Last edited by lamf on Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
息をするたびに人生を知る
lamf
NewB

Post by lamf »

5-4-2006
Decided to go with a springer front-end. Wanted it beefy with 1.5" tubing to match the frame. This was a drawing I made. The rockers are drawn funky, but this was just to get an idea of how things looked. I would work it all out later.
5-4-06 b.jpg
5-4-06 b.jpg (112.35 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
Last edited by lamf on Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
息をするたびに人生を知る
lamf
NewB

Post by lamf »

5-24-2006
So the springer is in the works. Big Jim recommended a guy near him, Mute from DMC Chops, who would machine the parts. It would take a few weeks to get back. Then I can mock it up on my frame, cut and position things where they need to be, and weld it all together. Here is a progress pic of the lower tree.
picture 036.jpg
picture 036.jpg (69.05 KiB) Viewed 5158 times
息をするたびに人生を知る
lamf
NewB

Post by lamf »

6-12-2006
Got the motor and trans ... the motor is a Harley '99 Evo 80" 1340cc. Built brand new from the factory in 2006, and shipped right to my garage door. Got it from St. Paul Harley Davidson for a super great price. Money was a factor, so I was just looking for the best price anywhere. It just so happened that I found this new factory crate number for the best price at the time.
Wouldn't be so lucky with the trans. Had to settle for an Ebay special. Brand name is Phoenix. Probably Chinese made. But I read the reviews, and it seemed pretty stable for the price. Anyway it's a 5 speed for a '99 Softail. I also already had plans at the time to convert it to a electric/kickstart hybrid. I have to say, over the years it's been fairly reliable. Had an issue with it a few years back when it was popping out of gear and was super hard to shift into certain gears. I ended up disassembling the whole thing without a clue of what I was doing as to the internal workings of a trans. It ended up being a broken spring. Fixed it and cleaned everything and it ran good ever since.
If i had the money and to do over again I would have got a Baker 6 speed, but like I said, money was tight.
And that would be an ongoing theme throughout this whole build.
Attachments
6-12.jpg
6-12.jpg (87.74 KiB) Viewed 5152 times
6-11.jpg
6-11.jpg (90.98 KiB) Viewed 5152 times
息をするたびに人生を知る

Return to “Project Build-Logs”