WANTED -- round oil bag

The Swap Meet USA
Ghostrider61
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Dave but I go by DB most of the time. Was a previous member of CBH before the site restarted. Spent 22 years in the US Army and retired in 2000. Now work for the US Army as a "government slave" (GS) worker. I ride a "highly customized" 1992 Sportster.

WANTED -- round oil bag

Post by Ghostrider61 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:32 pm

For a stock (swing arm) frame - '92 Sportster. I've hunted for one for years, asked folks to build me one and have continued to come up dry. Any help is appreciated.

DB
Sporties Rule

bobbydeville
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Bobbydeville, forgot my password unless I just forgot to register before. Good to see the sight back up. I'm a maint. tech. many years of welding and fabricating. Still buildin bikes at my own pace. Still sell my one off oil bags from time to time.

Re: WANTED -- round oil bag

Post by bobbydeville » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:52 pm

FILE0101.JPG
FILE0101.JPG (76.46 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
FILE0101.JPG
FILE0101.JPG (76.46 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
FILE0106.JPG
FILE0106.JPG (88.44 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
FILE0105.JPG
FILE0105.JPG (71.04 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
Got any dimensions? I got this one I built a while back but didnt use it yet. See if these pix work. It measures 6 X 10: with 2 1/4: npt fittings on top and bottom.

Ghostrider61
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Dave but I go by DB most of the time. Was a previous member of CBH before the site restarted. Spent 22 years in the US Army and retired in 2000. Now work for the US Army as a "government slave" (GS) worker. I ride a "highly customized" 1992 Sportster.

Post by Ghostrider61 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:51 am

Bobby,

Thanks man but I don't think that'll fit the bike. I've got those two frame loops that would push it too far forward into the rear header pipe. I think I'm just fucked and will have to continue to run the OEM bag. I'm really at the end of the rope on this one.

DB
Sporties Rule

joechop
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: engineer working in construction industry and living outside of Pittsburgh PA. I recently completed my first build and hopefully more to come. officially started a side business for v-twin restomods... Vadori Designs.

Post by joechop » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:32 pm

by your comment - I presume you need to run it longitudinally with the bike and not transverse under the seat?

curt
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Draw up some really good dimensions maybe 1 of us can help you. I'd be willingness to give it a shot
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better

Ghostrider61
Lurker

Post by Ghostrider61 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:41 pm

I'll take you up on that Curt. I have to figure it out first. ...And find the time.

I'm thinking I am going to have to cut off the battery tray and then work from there. Any "style" I go with will have to have sections cut out from the back to accommodate the 2 frame loops where the battery (on the left side) and oil tank (on the right side) are currently located. Then I have to figure out if I can work something out where I mount a smaller (maybe) battery inside that tank from the back or if I have to see if it'll work on the swing arm. I know what I'm describing is hard to understand if you aren't familiar with early 90's Sportster frames. Hell, I'm having a hard enough time just trying to visualize it myself.
Sporties Rule

curt
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Ghostrider61 wrote:I'll take you up on that Curt. I have to figure it out first. ...And find the time.

I'm thinking I am going to have to cut off the battery tray and then work from there. Any "style" I go with will have to have sections cut out from the back to accommodate the 2 frame loops where the battery (on the left side) and oil tank (on the right side) are currently located. Then I have to figure out if I can work something out where I mount a smaller (maybe) battery inside that tank from the back or if I have to see if it'll work on the swing arm. I know what I'm describing is hard to understand if you aren't familiar with early 90's Sportster frames. Hell, I'm having a hard enough time just trying to visualize it myself.

mock it up in posterbord lots easier to cut and visualize what its gonna look like .it seems like a lot of work for just an oil tank mabey hard tail it that would solve a lot of your problems trying to fit things in and look way cooler but if not id b glad to help ya out
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better

joechop
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: engineer working in construction industry and living outside of Pittsburgh PA. I recently completed my first build and hopefully more to come. officially started a side business for v-twin restomods... Vadori Designs.

Post by joechop » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:41 pm

nothing that's worthwhile is ever easy.....

Return to “Buy-Sell-Trade-USA”