getting a title

buellfun
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I live in colorado. I have 5 boys. been married 20 years. just got my bike running. I am a sparky by trade. I am really glad to find the guys and gals from the old site. Looking forward to see the site grow and produce nice quality bike through the free infomation found on the board.

getting a title

Post by buellfun »

After i spent almost a hour in line i got my title forms. Now i need to find the parts that apply to what i am doing. I will keep posting to let everyone know how its going.

not really looking forward to working with dmv here in colorado, they dont seem to know how to help with this part and as with most people if its not there thing they have a hard time helping with it. Dont think many ladies at our dmv has built anything from scratch.

Chris
buellfun
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I live in colorado. I have 5 boys. been married 20 years. just got my bike running. I am a sparky by trade. I am really glad to find the guys and gals from the old site. Looking forward to see the site grow and produce nice quality bike through the free infomation found on the board.

Re: getting a title

Post by buellfun »

so i was told by a colorado state patrol to start with #1 and do it one at a time, thats the easiest way. so it sounds like a long process to make this happen.

He told me every time someone tries to do it at once thinking they have all the stuff they miss something. Then its start over time.

Step 1: Get all number check by a Colorado State Patrolman, and fill out form DR2704
buellfun
Tourist

Post by buellfun »

went to state to start title process...

first I dropped the bike getting it out of the trailer.

Sencond I dropped my bill of sale for the frame in a water puddle

Third It snowed like hell on me

It was just a crappy day

I am starting over next week
msn1977
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Mark Nienke, I have been a machinest and fabricator for over 30 years. Currently a home shop machinest and future bike builder (some day). Funnest project was my Maadi-Griffin 50 BMG which I built a few years ago. I have owned bikes on and off for the last 40 years. Built and sold two basket case sportsters. I currently own a 2008 Harley V-Rod.

Post by msn1977 »

I had an issue years ago (80's) in Colorado. Bought a basket case Sporty with no title and had to get a bonded title. Not a big deal but took time. The bike I built in Kansas was no issue, but I had the title from the engine doner bike. I had bought a frame and mated the two. That was back in the 70's. Colorado for some reason had an issue with the frame number not metchine the engine number.
Dan.in.Can
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Dan, i'm 28 years old and i live in Ontario Canada. i grew up in an old school house that my dad fixed up out in the country, just outside a very small town called Hillsdale. i spent most of my childhood working at the farm up the road, so i guess you could say im a country boy. school and me never quite saw eye to eye, not that i wasn't smart enough, but i had a big issue with authority, so i ended up dropping out of highschool to start working in construction. spent about 6 years as a general contractor, but most of the work was in Toronto and i got tired of commuting. now i'm a heavy equipment operator, i spend my summers diggin holes, and my winters plowing snow. i do everything from floating equipment and driving truck, to digging basements and installing septics. I also do quite a bit of maintinence and repairs on our trucks and equipment. thats where i learned to weld (mig & stick) as well as basic mechanical and fabrication skills. i've been with this company for 6 years now. i've been married 7 years now, and we have 2 boys 10 and 12 yrs old. i spend as much of my spare time out on the bike as possible. im riding a F model VTX1800, i try to get away on at least one long trip every year. last couple years me and the guys have rode to north carolina, i love those mountain roads. I've allways dreamed of building a bike, but never thought it was actually a possibility untill i found the CBH website. i read through the OSC build and it completely blew me away, i then read through every article on the site and now i'm a huge fan. everything from the attitude and idea, to the work thats done is fantastic. i'm starting my first bike build real soon, ive got my bender die ordered from jd2 and i've started building the CBH bender. even just skimming through this message board provides more usefull tech knowlege about choppers than the entire web. now im chasing a dream, thanks CBH.

Post by Dan.in.Can »

so far this is not looking good for me. everywhere i've asked, including local shops say that its absolutely impossible to register a homemade motorcycle in Ontario Canada, unless i buy a frame from a recognized manufacturer. :x
i figured i'd check on here before i spend an afternoon in the MTO office trying to find out, if anyone has any info on this, i'd be thankfull. :pray:
i guess worst case scenario, i have to swap a VIN off a donor bike. but i would prefer to go the legal route if i can.
if you have two or three wheels and a smile on your face then its all good
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Blaksmith , Hosedragger , Superbob may be of some help. They are familiar with builds in Ontario. Myself, I have a completed frame in B.C. that I will be attempting to get a VIN number for. That will have to wait for a few months.

Find out where the inspection shops are. Call them to determine what it is they require to approve a homebuilt frame. In my area it is 2 motorcycle and repair shops.

Return to “Titles and Registration”