US Helmet Laws by State

United States
dpreacher
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: First ride: 1968. First chopper magazines: July 1971. First chopper: Honda 550 Four in an AMEN rigid frame, 1979. Now I'm 61 and there's 5 Harleys in my garage. Real bikers build what they ride. If you don't wrench your ride you're not a biker, just an enthusiast.

Re: US Helmet Laws by State

Post by dpreacher »

In WA we have some odd juxtapositions in the law. For instance, you cannot ride a late model motorcycle without a helmet, BUT you cannot wear a helmet in a car BECAUSE IT IS UNSAFE - the helmet blocks your hearing and vision. Except that the VAST majority of head injuries happen IN CAR ACCIDENTS. So logically, you should wear a helmet in your car - but you'll get a ticket. WTF?
Another interesting quirk; the WA helmet law defines "classic or antique motorcycles" as motorcycles 25 years old or older, and then EXEMPTS "Classic or Antique Motorcycles" from the helmet requirement. Works for me - newest rig I own is a '95 bagger I'm slowly building a fatbob out of. Old rides have soul. Aaand, my local Harley parts woman rides an FXR, so those parts are available.
Just realized - I have owned exactly ONE motorcycle the factory shop would work on, an 05 Sportster I bought new and gave back when it ate the SECOND alternator in 12 months. Never owned another one in 40 years of riding, and that's including all the Jap bikes I grew up on. No wonder I have tooools.........
'87 Sportster
'77 Shovelhead
'91 FXR (Yeah, she does purr! Best bike I've ever owned!" used without permission from Progressive Ins)
'95 FLH (Used to be an FLHTC, but all that tour crap is going in the trash)
'87 FXR (belongs to my roommate and partner in crime, Messy Mike)
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Re: US Helmet Laws by State

Post by budoka »

Interesting laws, to say the least. Not a US state, but the helmet law (as pretty much all the laws are over here) are national. half-lids are ok though, so i’m not sure what the point is, but...

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/

Return to “Helmet Laws US”