US Helmet Laws by State

United States
Big John 13
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Into HD and Triumph, own an 84 Shovel and 77 Triumph Tiger (current project), riding and wrenching for 30+ years. I am currently trying to piece together a Trumpet OIF basketcase into a handtail bobber. I am not the most computer literate guy in the world so plaese bare with me as I try to post photo's on occassion.

US Helmet Laws by State

Post by Big John 13 »

Alabama all riders :angry-banghead:
Alaska 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Arizona 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Arkansas 20 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
California all riders riders :angry-banghead:
Colorado no helmet use laws :mrgreen:
Connecticut 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Delaware 18 yrs. and younger riders :confusion-shrug:
District of Columbia all riders :angry-banghead:
Florida 20 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Georgia all riders :angry-banghead:
Hawaii 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Idaho 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Illinois no helmet use laws :mrgreen:
Indiana 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Iowa no helmet use laws :mrgreen:
Kansas 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Kentucky 20 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Louisiana all riders :angry-banghead:
Maine 14 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Maryland all riders riders :angry-banghead:
Massachusetts all riders :angry-banghead:
Michigan all riders :angry-banghead:
Minnesota 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Mississippi all riders :angry-banghead:
Missouri all riders :angry-banghead:
Montana 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Nebraska all riders :angry-banghead:
Nevada all riders :angry-banghead:
New Hampshire 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
New Jersey all riders :angry-banghead:
New Mexico 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
New York all riders :angry-banghead:
North Carolina all riders :angry-banghead:
North Dakota 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Ohio 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Oklahoma 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Oregon all riders :angry-banghead:
Pennsylvania 20 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Rhode Island 20 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
South Carolina 20 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
South Dakota 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Tennessee all riders :angry-banghead:
Texas 20 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Utah 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Vermont all riders :angry-banghead:
Virginia all riders :angry-banghead:
Washington all riders :angry-banghead:
West Virginia all riders :angry-banghead:
Wisconsin 17 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
Wyoming 18 yrs. and younger :confusion-shrug:
If it's been at least five years since you've been inside a Harley stealership, then you probably own a Shovelhead.........YEAH, AND I WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY!
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Re: US Helmet Laws by State

Post by sleepyonthree »

:mrgreen: = Go for it. Enjoy your life.

:confusion-shrug: = Mother Hen till your out of our imaginary nest.

:angry-banghead: = Your total incompetents, the STATE Knows whats best for you and will shove its will down your throat(u.y.a) to prove it.
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
Bikesandfires
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a 54yo, fat, balding, bearded motorhead living in the hills of Eastern Ky. 35 year and counting firefighter, retired from 31 years as a crane operator, car nut from birth. I hope my free-mail account doesn't keep me from becoming a member of this message board. Current toys: 1966 Ford Fairlane 500, 1967 Sunbeam Tiger clone project, VW trike project, 18' Thundercraft boat.

Post by Bikesandfires »

RANT ALERT!!: Ignore as needed....
I hate to be told what to do as much as the next person, but as a firefighter and EMT, I'v seen what the lack of a helmet can do...its not a pretty sight. I wear a lid when I ride, every time...My brains aren't what they used to be, but I'm kinda attached to 'em. That said, I don't really care what my friends, or anyone else thinks about theirs, or how they treat them. Well...I DO care about friends...just not enough to nag them about their choices. If you get killed in an accident, I suppose it only hurts physically for a very few seconds. Friends an dfamily will have a heartache that lasts longer, but hopefully eases over time. What I worry most about is someones brains getting scrambled and causeing family members a lifetime of suffering, and financial ruin caring for your stupid drooling ass.

Never doubt the power of lobbiests tho. If you want ot change the law in either direction, go thru the proper channels and geterdone. Ky legislators, in their infinate wisdom, relaxed our helmet laws the very same year they decreed that we all must wear our seatbelts when driving. WTF???
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

Bikesandfires wrote:RANT ALERT!!: Ignore as needed....
I hate to be told what to do as much as the next person, but as a firefighter and EMT, I'v seen what the lack of a helmet can do...its not a pretty sight. I wear a lid when I ride, every time...My brains aren't what they used to be, but I'm kinda attached to 'em. That said, I don't really care what my friends, or anyone else thinks about theirs, or how they treat them. Well...I DO care about friends...just not enough to nag them about their choices. If you get killed in an accident, I suppose it only hurts physically for a very few seconds. Friends an dfamily will have a heartache that lasts longer, but hopefully eases over time. What I worry most about is someones brains getting scrambled and causeing family members a lifetime of suffering, and financial ruin caring for your stupid drooling ass.

Never doubt the power of lobbiests tho. If you want ot change the law in either direction, go thru the proper channels and geterdone. Ky legislators, in their infinate wisdom, relaxed our helmet laws the very same year they decreed that we all must wear our seatbelts when driving. WTF???
No argument on my part, I tend to play devils advocate, Carryover habit from my work requirements. :D Wear a lid myself and got a couple with gouges and road rash I prefer there and not in my skull. Following said lobbying and ear bending Florida awhile back relaxed the lid laws but didn't do much about the medical requirements for insurance. I find it curious that a lot of head injuries are cage drivers (personal observation, no stats) who had a run in with the C-pillar so the argument that only motorcyclists need helmets is a little lopsided. Just think of the photo ops as our glorious leaders exit their carriages with custom airbrushed helmets. :lol:
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
msn1977
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Mark Nienke, I have been a machinest and fabricator for over 30 years. Currently a home shop machinest and future bike builder (some day). Funnest project was my Maadi-Griffin 50 BMG which I built a few years ago. I have owned bikes on and off for the last 40 years. Built and sold two basket case sportsters. I currently own a 2008 Harley V-Rod.

Post by msn1977 »

Colorado is not exactly correct.
42-4-1502. Riding on motorcycles - protective helmet.

(4.5) (a) A PERSON UNDER EIGHTEEN YEARS OF AGE MAY NOT OPERATE OR BE A PASSENGER ON A MOTORCYCLE ON A HIGHWAY IN THIS STATE UNLESS:
(I) THE PERSON IS WEARING A PROTECTIVE HELMET OF A TYPE AND DESIGN MANUFACTURED FOR USE BY OPERATORS OF MOTORCYCLES;
(II) THE PROTECTIVE HELMET CONFORMS TO THE DESIGN AND SPECIFICATIONS SET FORTH IN PARAGRAPH (b) OF THIS SUBSECTION (4.5); AND
(III) THE PROTECTIVE HELMET IS SECURED PROPERLY ON THE PERSON'S HEAD WITH A CHIN STRAP WHILE THE MOTORCYCLE IS IN MOTION.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

I haven't been able to check this, but years ago in Alaska, all passengers were required to wear lids.
I looked on the state website, but it was not clear (surprise, surprise)
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Blimey thats old news over here in Britain....These days the European Parliament have more pressing matters too offend us with....its nice to see that at least in some states, the authorities still trust you to make your own mind up....

below is a snippet of whats happening here...

◦The Anti tampering Regulation: Specifically Article 18 which wants to stop all modifications to complete power train, from airbox to controlling the rear tyre profile.
◦Compulsory ABS. If we can't stop this, we must get a switch so that we have an option in difficult conditions where ABS doesn't function well.
◦Automatic headlights on- passing the blame for poor observation on to us.
◦OBD. On Board Diagnostics so that easy roadside checks can be made of our emissions and so that constant readouts of engine performance can be obtained. Expensive, complicated and with the threat, rather like a tacho, of identifying past riding style...
◦RMI. Repair and Maintenance Information. Rather than keeping it hidden and available for huge expense, there is a chance that manufacturers will be forced to provide ECU codes etc for a fee. What that fee is remains to be seen.
◦The very worrying article 52: "If systems, components or seperate technical units on a list in a delegated act to this regulation, have a dual use, for vehicles intended exclusively for racing on roads and for vehicles intended for use on public roads, they may not be sold or offered for sale to consumers" So if your K&N filter can fit a CBR race bike and a CBR road bike, the best way to police that, is to make it illegal to sell the filter in Europe.The Delegated Acts are the most scary thing, as they are the lists and details drawn up by the unelected and we won't get to see what they are including until after the Regulation has been passed!
◦In solidarity with the French we need to be drawing attention to their recent government proposal to ban all bikes over 7 years old from an urban area and to make the wearing of day-glo/ reflective clothing compulsory.
◦Full sleeve day-glo clothing for riders and passengers has been proposed in the Irish Parliament too.
◦All these issues lead to the same thing, that we must take the blame for the incompetence of other road users. And while the emergency stop has been removed as a compulsory element of the UK car driving test, we are jumping through hoops with ill-judged UK interpretations of EU licencing directives.
◦Another EU licencing Directive is on its way (3DLD) to step the bike licencing system still further and the DfT and DSA still haven't sorted the consultation process, even though it is meant to be in law by now and enacted January 2013.

For centuries these fxxkin eurocrats have been after our fair land, couldn't take it by force ...so they do it now politically slowley and surely.....................this is just one of the ludicruos crap which comes from being part of Europe....Do you lads fancy helpin us out again..quick stomp in Brussells....would be fun
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

would love to come over for a little shindig.
Interesting article in the NRA magazine, about the restrictive gun laws there.
Written by a British expat (legal immigrant)
TANSTAAFL
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

railroad bob wrote:would love to come over for a little shindig.
Interesting article in the NRA magazine, about the restrictive gun laws there.
Written by a British expat (legal immigrant)

very restrictive in Britain, Europe as a whole, seem to be a little less difficult especially in the east

just bring your Day-glo Jacket :lol:
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

What, no Camo?!?!?!

I like to blend in, I guess cowboy boots are outta the question? What about my stetson?
TANSTAAFL
Maxthegardener
Builder

Post by Maxthegardener »

lol...

Come as you are :lol:
Attachments
frank03.gif
frank03.gif (62.37 KiB) Viewed 9585 times
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Max, you slay me man... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I have a small poster of Freewheelin on my bedroom wall with the phrase,
"Pot will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no pot."

Years ago I used to buy the underground comics of the Freak Brothers.
What a riot.
Thanks for bringing up some old memories.

I guess we have completely :text-threadjacked:
TANSTAAFL
Dan.in.Can
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Dan, i'm 28 years old and i live in Ontario Canada. i grew up in an old school house that my dad fixed up out in the country, just outside a very small town called Hillsdale. i spent most of my childhood working at the farm up the road, so i guess you could say im a country boy. school and me never quite saw eye to eye, not that i wasn't smart enough, but i had a big issue with authority, so i ended up dropping out of highschool to start working in construction. spent about 6 years as a general contractor, but most of the work was in Toronto and i got tired of commuting. now i'm a heavy equipment operator, i spend my summers diggin holes, and my winters plowing snow. i do everything from floating equipment and driving truck, to digging basements and installing septics. I also do quite a bit of maintinence and repairs on our trucks and equipment. thats where i learned to weld (mig & stick) as well as basic mechanical and fabrication skills. i've been with this company for 6 years now. i've been married 7 years now, and we have 2 boys 10 and 12 yrs old. i spend as much of my spare time out on the bike as possible. im riding a F model VTX1800, i try to get away on at least one long trip every year. last couple years me and the guys have rode to north carolina, i love those mountain roads. I've allways dreamed of building a bike, but never thought it was actually a possibility untill i found the CBH website. i read through the OSC build and it completely blew me away, i then read through every article on the site and now i'm a huge fan. everything from the attitude and idea, to the work thats done is fantastic. i'm starting my first bike build real soon, ive got my bender die ordered from jd2 and i've started building the CBH bender. even just skimming through this message board provides more usefull tech knowlege about choppers than the entire web. now im chasing a dream, thanks CBH.

Post by Dan.in.Can »

Your lucky if if you live somewhere that allows you to make your own choices. Here in Canada we have helmet laws country wide as far as i know, as well as seatbelt laws. I heard about some group in Ontario, trying to get a law passed that you have to wear a lifejacket at all times on any boat under 25ft. What gives anyone the right to make personal decisions for a private citizen in a free country? nothing should.

almost everyone i talk to think that helmet laws make sense :angry-banghead:
if you have two or three wheels and a smile on your face then its all good
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Dan.in.Can wrote:Your lucky if if you live somewhere that allows you to make your own choices. Here in Canada we have helmet laws country wide as far as i know, as well as seatbelt laws. I heard about some group in Ontario, trying to get a law passed that you have to wear a lifejacket at all times on any boat under 25ft. What gives anyone the right to make personal decisions for a private citizen in a free country? nothing should.

almost everyone i talk to think that helmet laws make sense :angry-banghead:
Don't forget about the jerks who are chain smoking while demanding all motorcyclists wear a lid, because they owe it to society
to take care of themselves and not increase the insurance rates for "everyone else".
TANSTAAFL
Dan.in.Can
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Dan, i'm 28 years old and i live in Ontario Canada. i grew up in an old school house that my dad fixed up out in the country, just outside a very small town called Hillsdale. i spent most of my childhood working at the farm up the road, so i guess you could say im a country boy. school and me never quite saw eye to eye, not that i wasn't smart enough, but i had a big issue with authority, so i ended up dropping out of highschool to start working in construction. spent about 6 years as a general contractor, but most of the work was in Toronto and i got tired of commuting. now i'm a heavy equipment operator, i spend my summers diggin holes, and my winters plowing snow. i do everything from floating equipment and driving truck, to digging basements and installing septics. I also do quite a bit of maintinence and repairs on our trucks and equipment. thats where i learned to weld (mig & stick) as well as basic mechanical and fabrication skills. i've been with this company for 6 years now. i've been married 7 years now, and we have 2 boys 10 and 12 yrs old. i spend as much of my spare time out on the bike as possible. im riding a F model VTX1800, i try to get away on at least one long trip every year. last couple years me and the guys have rode to north carolina, i love those mountain roads. I've allways dreamed of building a bike, but never thought it was actually a possibility untill i found the CBH website. i read through the OSC build and it completely blew me away, i then read through every article on the site and now i'm a huge fan. everything from the attitude and idea, to the work thats done is fantastic. i'm starting my first bike build real soon, ive got my bender die ordered from jd2 and i've started building the CBH bender. even just skimming through this message board provides more usefull tech knowlege about choppers than the entire web. now im chasing a dream, thanks CBH.

Post by Dan.in.Can »

They should slap helmets on everyone in a convertable to even things out. just to make sure everyones safe lol
if you have two or three wheels and a smile on your face then its all good

Return to “Helmet Laws US”