101 Indian scout frame section

Let's use this as an archive for whatever plans you have, or links to plans elsewhere. Before posting plans here, make sure you have permission to do so.
friday
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: from jockey journal via NZ . got a shovelhead and a early scout project , planning on a mild custom from ground up = NO cutting only minimising and poss hotting up , so not a butcher here nor a 100 pointer! cheers willy

101 Indian scout frame section

Post by friday »

Yea its not the whole frame . I measured off the paper version , the scan version plays with my eyes

this is the same neck cast as early short frame scout = corrections made to list

fork rake is 25*
rake axis to down tubes = 45*
down tubes to top rail = 70*
top rail to rake axis = 65*
down tubes = 20*
rear top legs = 30*

45 + 70 + 65 = 180*
45 - 25 = 20*

they reakon the 101 was the best handling Indian
Attachments
resizedimage.jpg
resizedimage.jpg (161.17 KiB) Viewed 6221 times
Last edited by friday on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
friday
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: from jockey journal via NZ . got a shovelhead and a early scout project , planning on a mild custom from ground up = NO cutting only minimising and poss hotting up , so not a butcher here nor a 100 pointer! cheers willy

Re: 101 Indian scout frame section

Post by friday »

another pic of wheel base .
at some stage Ill get frame measurements. Theres no info on the net = hold outs!
Attachments
101framesketch2.jpg
101framesketch2.jpg (60.89 KiB) Viewed 6220 times
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

this is awesome information. Thank you for the time..
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

It's cool to see someone doing these prints!
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Thanks for taking the time to post this.
I was looking online for a few minutes.

http://bastybikes.blogspot.ca/2013/07/n ... t-101.html
GOOD IDEA?
GOOD IDEA?
INDADJUST.JPG (44.11 KiB) Viewed 6208 times
friday
Tourist

Post by friday »

101 rear axel plates are also used on 741 . (source indian parts europe , Im yet to confirm measurement)

640 is longer than 741 , longer legs set the axel plate up higher which lowers the bottom rail of frame .
I havent seen any info saying that there were 2 separate axel plate casts. (640 vs 741)

early scout axel plate cast is the same except there is no side car hoops (1920 - 27)
(CORRECTION : NO IT AINT!! = APPEARS TO BE 55 DEGREES BETWEEN TOP AND LOWER LEGS FOR SHORT FRAME)

lower leg = 1 1/8 " tube
top leg = 7/8" tube
the axel slot is set at 20 degrees which is level with bottom of frame

http://virtualindian.org/9blueprintspic1.htm
Last edited by friday on Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Almost the same except 640 and 741 plates had a cast in raised pad for serial numbers.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
friday
Tourist

Post by friday »

Ive got a 26 frame that I have to derust ,straighten , measure , ideally rebuild....experts recommend straighten then braze FILL!!!

my main reason for measuring everything and hunting for any info and continuing to do so.
Id prefer to replace the tubing as indians rust from inside out also.

early axle plate slot is 20 degrees and the bottom leg is 20 degrees making slot level .
I keep measuring the angle between lower and upper leg looks like 55 degree which is a "short frame" having steeper legs
therefore , 20 degree , 55 degree , difference = 35 degree for the top leg

virtual indian blue print guys say 50 degree on legs for axle plate and 20 degree on lower bend (but thats a 640 frame they drawn which sits lower than 741)
bloody confusing to me ,Id expect axle slots to be level on both frames

jerry greer frame diagrams appear to be 50 degrees .... but the lower legs look 15 degree OR my eyes are stuffed!
printed version may be more realistic like the scan I put at top of page is slightly different from printed version so maybe scanners fish eye scans a bit.
grain o salt with any thing on the net

20* , 50* diff= 30* top legs
15* , 50* diff= 35* top legs

this is relevant to 101 geometry as the first pic at top of page has top leg sloping at 30 degree , the V.I blueprint has axle plate at 50 degree and my frame is 20 degree on the lower leg bend and 20 degree being the diff between 50 and 30.
the 2nd pic of 101 frame shows measurement from axle slot to motor mount etc

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.com/ ... 1941&m=741
Last edited by friday on Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
friday
Tourist

Post by friday »

Ive got 25 scout cases and 101 cases plus trans case Ive measured

1925 = 11.4295" long x 3.525" high , centre pedastal mount holes to centre trans mount hole
101 = 15.15625" long x 3.150" high , centre thru bolt mount hole to cetre trans mount hole

these measurements are MINUS the 4 x shims that go between trans and motor , S2205 = 20B797 , .003" shim OR S2205A = 20B798 , .005" shim

on the V.I blueprint chief legion frame
1944 chief = 15.3129" long x 2.8125" high , according to Legion frame = http://virtualindian.org/9newslegionpic1.htm

this is relevant to 101 chout = chief motor in scout frame

Pic = 1927 police special used early scout frame geometry with 101 style thru bolt mount , the axle plate is the first to have side car hoops like 101
Attachments
img_1.jpg
img_1.jpg (87.85 KiB) Viewed 6169 times
friday
Tourist

Post by friday »

This frame here is not Indian dimensions but still a classy design , plans are for sale for custom bike.
Its a good concept to have a frame to suit 741 motors

hansgoudzwaard wrote:Thanks for taking the time to post this.
I was looking online for a few minutes.

http://bastybikes.blogspot.ca/2013/07/n ... t-101.html
INDADJUST.JPG
friday
Tourist

Post by friday »

heres a pic just to confirm the angle between rake line and down tubes is 45 degrees using 2 square edges then measuring the result angle.

This neck casting is the same one used on short frames and 101 frames.

Rake is set based on the position the neck cast is set in the original factory frame jig.

If the top tube is horizontal level then rake can only be 25 degrees . The top tube socket is 65 degrees from the neck centre line
Attachments
45 degree.JPG
45 degree.JPG (76.24 KiB) Viewed 6041 times

Return to “Downloadable plans Area”