approaching car at intersection

Got a neat little trick you picked up to do something? Share it here.
joechop
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: engineer working in construction industry and living outside of Pittsburgh PA. I recently completed my first build and hopefully more to come. officially started a side business for v-twin restomods... Vadori Designs.

approaching car at intersection

Post by joechop »

not sure if they're going to pull out in front of you? watch the wheels, not the driver.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: approaching car at intersection

Post by railroad bob »

Good one, new to me...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Bit of advice, Always expect the unexepected....Was on my Tractor the other day...Here in the Uk have to have a flashing amber safty beacon, which on mine is on the top of the rollbar....cant miss it! especially in the evening or in the dark......

Mirror signal manouver.........ok ready to make the turn, rd ahead is clear........it all happended so fast ...in the split second while Iam turning the wheel .........over taken on the offside, at speed by a white van, missed my loading bucket by millimetres......saw my life flash before my eyes.....If he'd hit me I wouldnt have even seen it coming, I didn't even have time to stop, made the turn, continued up the street .....thinking how fekin close that was to the end....doesn't bare thinking about.....

You must not ever assume that other drivers are as careful and law abiding as you, always assume their idiots....just shows to remind you to 'DriveSafe' no matter how small the trip...
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Rule of Thumb #1

Ride like they're trying to kill you.
Every single one is going to turn left in front of you at the last possible second, then claim they never saw you.
TANSTAAFL
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

im 6 ft tall over 300 lbs rideing a big ass harley the first thing they say is i didnt see ya . im thinkin ya should have to have a mandatory eye exam possibly a cat scan what the hell r ya doin on the road
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

May I remind you of your signiture lol
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

ya it really works
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

also, try to think of what the most bone-headed, irresponsible, unbelievable, thing they could possibly do is, and bet that that is exactly what they are going to do, because it IS.

you guys should just see what it's like here. especially the old farts. with all the "respect the elderly JUST because they're elderly," crap here, everyone just starts doing whatever the heck they feel like after a certain age. stop signs? whatever. stop lights? whatever. lanes? you gotta be kidding. the worst are the old ladies on scooters, and the old drunk men on bicycles (regardless of what time of the day it is). it's like riding inside a video game here - wild.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Indian Mark
General Smart-Ass
SELF INTRODUCTION: So,...I guess I'm a newb. Can I get my "General Smart-Ass" moniker back, or do I actually have to build something. Like a chopper for example. I am hoping to re-start a build that's been sitting in my shop for a couple years with most of the parts already acquired.
Just wanted to thank Dan and anyone else involved in getting this board up and running.
Dan is a personal friend of mine and one of the finest people I know. I have a world of respect for him, not just for his work here but also for reasons beyond this forum.
Not sure if that's 200 words, but that's my intro and I'm sticking to it.
BTW, I'm Mark. Not Indian, just a fanatic of the motorcycle brand.

Post by Indian Mark »

Few years ago I was rolling up thru a green light and looked at the front wheel of a car in the oncoming left turn lane. His wheels were turning. Thought I was toast. First time I ever saw "spinners". WTF?? Really messed up my head for a while, never heard of 'em before that. Glad that fad is over.
dpreacher
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: First ride: 1968. First chopper magazines: July 1971. First chopper: Honda 550 Four in an AMEN rigid frame, 1979. Now I'm 61 and there's 5 Harleys in my garage. Real bikers build what they ride. If you don't wrench your ride you're not a biker, just an enthusiast.

Post by dpreacher »

Hey, Curt; Yes, I have noticed. And I do feel better after... As for riding in traffic; I just operate on the basis that they're all out to get me, but some of them don't know it yet. This has led me to become quite aggressive in my riding. Membership in a club exacerbated this tendency. Remember; they're all out to get you. 5 extra points if they knock your boots off.....
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

I agree a club will defiantly make you more aggressive rider also a much better rider . remember when the cars gave a wide path for a club coming through not anymore have had cars try and push their way into the middle of a pack . that blinker is like a get out of my way beacon because im coming in weather you like it or not . they aint afraid to get stomped anymore look at those 7 guys in that marine club that got killed wtf .
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

A few days ago I saw a short vid clip from a dashboard cam. About 15 seconds.
Guy wearing a helmet was sopped behind a vehicle at a stop light.
Vid shows a car rear ending him at some speed then cuts off.
The rider was likely killed, at the very least badly injured. He shows no reaction prior to being hit, so likely never saw it coming.

Years ago when I started riding again I subscribed for a while to Motorcycle Consumer News magazine.
Black and white, no color photos, no ads, totally unbiased by companies, manufacturers or vendors.
They provided honest reviews on bikes, complete with ergonomic analysis.
Many articles about riding safely, with pro-active tips. One of the frequent contributors had written books about this topic.
Excellent work, can't remember his name at the moment.

Just one of the tips was to leave yourself some space to maneuver when you're forced to stop behind another vehicle, and pay attention to your mirrors. If the rider in the video had been doing that, he might have been able to avoid being smeared.

One of my riding habits is to watch my mirrors even more than the front. I've had more than my share of close calls, don't want anymore.
TANSTAAFL
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

i saw that somewhere except the guy called it leaving yourself an escape route . i always think of that now

Return to “Handy hints”