62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post your ongoing projects in this section.
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Re: 62 Chopped FL Rebuild

Post by 2Loose »

Put a new 12 v halogen bulb in the headlight, both beams working great....
2Loose
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Maui boy, farm systems mechanical engineer, sugar cane and pineapple, retired, chopped a '62 FL in '68, still have it, have five HD projects in the shop right now, three are panheads. Try to work on them every day, but often looking for or waiting for parts. Nothing stock going on here, all hot rod street oriental, and mostly old style.

Post by 2Loose »

Started putting her back together, here's a couple of shots below,
but there's more HERE!

2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

That rear fender needs a hawaiian skirt of some kind, gotta think about that....
Willy
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Still need to rebuild the front brake caliper...

Pulled it off and rechecked the rotor and mount...
All still looking good....

Terst fitted the brake pads, again, looking good.....

Laid out all the parts for the rebuild....

Pulled the carb off the shelf, all the ferrous metal parts are showing rust,
so will have to clean and paint them...

Laid out all the parts for this '62 Linkert M74 carb rebuild...

A closeup of these parts...

Hmmm, time to dig out the shop manual....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

I did upgrade the float to a new "Rubber Ducky", it looks great !!

Started stripping down the carb, hmmm, 3 gaskets between the carb and the intake? Looks like a heat isolator solution somebody put in....

Actually the carb looks like it is in great shape, throttle and choke shafts look tight, not sloppy, might not have to do much to it, will check it out further...

Had a rain storm come in, abandoned the shop, it leaks when it rains like this, had 2.5" in about 4 hours, one downpour of at least an inch in about 10 minutes....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Had a little time today for a couple small chores, so....
I decided to wrap the exhaust pipes in
titanium exhaust wrap,
something different....

And ran a braided front brake line down to the disk brake...

more later....
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Looking good! Did you ever find a generator drive gear that fit right?
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Yes, I did find a used oem gear in good condition, it fit nice and snug on that shaft...
Probably should just toss the "new" one, the one that fits loosely, as I'll never use it,
and don't want to pass it on to anyone else. For now it is tagged and in the "panhead
spare parts" bin....

I still think there is a legitimate way to install those loose fitting gears so they are not
loose, I just do not know how...
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

I shrunk one for Pablos Pan Shovel and its been fine for several years. If the splines were inside the gear shrinking would mess up the hardening and tooth profile of the gear. But the way the splines stick out one side I just put a wet grease rag inside and around the gear then brought the spline section quickly up to very dull red. Then wrapped the wet rag all around the splines too. It took two tries to make it a gasket hammer fit. I wouldn't heat it past just barely showing color so you get a very small shrink as a large shrink could cause hours or days with a diamond file.
Dusty
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

I'll have to try that some day....
The original 6v fan cooled generator (Police Special) off this '62 still has the original gear on it, I did not want to disturb that.
I should have one more 6v gennie around somewhere, originally from my '59, but I can't find it....
Probably loaned it out some time back, and then forgot all about it...
The faster I go, the behinder I get....
I never look over my shoulder, I know what's back there, and it scares the hell outta me !!
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

The master cylinder is missing the banjo bolt for the hydraulic line to the caliper....
Tried various bolts I had until I found the correct thread....
I finally determined that the thread is a metric 10 by 1.25,
and I have not been able to find a banjo bolt of that thread locally,
so I'm going to drill out a bolt and make my own...
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

Hey, if ya haven't done something with that banjo bolt yet, i can send ya one i've got sitting out in the garage!

the panhead is looking great, by the way. you're so close to done it must be killing you to have to wait.

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Not a problem, and thanks for the offer....

I had the 10 mm banjo bolt from the caliper to help me locate the holes,
particularly the cross hole, ground a flat where that hole goes,
clamped it in one of my drill press vices, and drilled it....
Compared that to the other bolt and the banjo,
I think I'm good to go here, now for the
center hole....
Jigged it up in the same vise,
after center punching the bolt face to keep
the drill bit from dancing around on startup....
It looks good and should work out just fine....
2Loose
Conventioneer

Post by 2Loose »

Got a lot done today, so a lot of pix....

Had these 10 mm gaskets for the banjo's on hand,
They're a tight fit over the bolts....
The right bolt is a stock M10 x 1,00 unit for the caliper....
The left one is my "homemade" M10 x 1.25 for the master cylinder...
Cleaned up the caliper inside and out, and installed the inner seal
and the outer boot...
Mounted the master cylinder back on the handlebar and connected the brake line
Routed the brake line so it doesn't touch the tank on full right fork crank....
Ran it down the left leg to the caliper....
The 90 banjo bolt mounted "up" gives more of a loop in the brake line...
But once the weight is on the forks it might be better to flip
that banjo over to the "down" side, will check that out once
it's back on the road....
Cleaned up the caliper slider bolts, greased them,
and put new boots on them....
Cleaned up the caliper inside and out, and installed a new seal...
And a new boot, getting that outer lip on that boot in
it's groove inside the caliper was a job and a half !!!
Took a break from the brakes and worked on the carb a bit...
Decided to use a new float bowl needle valve,
even though the old one looked good to me....
The lower one is the new one,
it has a triangular shape, and the bore it fits in is much larger
than the original one, so it might respond faster to fuel inflow requirements....
Spent a lot of time getting the float set the way Harley Davidson want's it,
but I got it right on the money....
Assembled the carb with new gaskets and used a brass
washer under the float bowl....
I hope this is correct, I couldn't remember what was there when I took it apart,
and couldn't find a reference to what is supposed to go there....
Back to the caliper, final assembly, pads, tightened everything up....
Backside view, love those star hubs....
Assembled the carb, haven't mounted it as yet....
These parts were wire brushed with a brass wire wheel, then clear coated....
That front brake caliper likewise....
Still need to hook up the fuel line,
and the throttle cable....

This is the guide I have for this carb, it's in an old shop manual....
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

The original needle and seat would have probably been fine I'm still running the originals in my Military Scout. But I think you are right on the three sided needle being better. If you are ever in doubt on a Linkert or a Shiebler call or email Cotten, he's a past master.
Dusty

Return to “Project Build-Logs”