now hold on a minute, did you say 'carbon fiber?'

Use this area for posts and questions that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
SoCalBiker
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I've got motorcycles in my blood. Growing up with my dad riding them, I feel like I've always had my fingers tightly wound around handlebar grips. My taste for bikes and the family are strong and the only bike I'll ride is one that's been stripped down to the essentials. I don't care for all of high tech stuff on the new stuff. I just want simplicity. not a Limousine on 2 wheels.

now hold on a minute, did you say 'carbon fiber?'

Post by SoCalBiker »

yeah, i totally did, dude! now before anyone goes off and scratches their head about this one, let me tell you what i've come across in my time away from the board and during my travels and tons of internet searching.

most people building motorcycles, whether in a shop or in a factory, use metal to make everything for it. except some of those companies that may use fiberglass or something like the sport bikes use, Kawasaki, Yamaha, you get the picture.

Now, for years, I've been looking for a way to reduce the weight of any given bike that i may ever have and I came across this amazing ability to do that. How? By using carbon fiber. YES! Carbon fiber! There's a business in Seattle, Washington that does custom carbon fiber molds and layups for anything and I've talked with them about it and they've actually made some fenders for an application, of which I can't remember now, but I asked if they could make some fenders for a motorcycle and perhaps a gas tank. And they said yes, as long as they had something to work with like the fenders and tank I want to recreate with carbon fiber and that means either hand delivering it to them or shipping it to them.

Now, I bet you just cocked your head and squinted your eyes at me and I'll tell you more. You can use carbon fiber in a gas tank depending on the resin that's used. Magnificent way to reduce weight. I know gas tanks aren't that heavy to begin with, but imagine taking a steel tank weighing, and this is a guesstimate, 5-7 lbs and make it out of carbon fiber, and now you've got a tank weighing in at 2 lbs. I know, 3-5 lbs may not sound like much, but when you couple that with a reduction in the fenders, and then maybe move on to the seat pan and then anywhere you can use it at, it adds up.

This is a thing about us home/custom shop builders who like to make things from scratch, we've still got to advance our techniques and materials to stay viable.

if you want to check out the website, go to http://www.commonfibers.com
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Re: now hold on a minute, did you say 'carbon fiber?'

Post by gearhead1951 »

you can get those supplies at www.aircraftspruce .com
drivermark
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Have always liked choppers since I was a kid, never thought I had skills enough untill I found the "Handbook" sight just recently. Reading the info posted on the "Hand book" sight made me think maybe I can.
I have a little experience fabricating things.
Hoping the yahoo e-mail account doesn't disqualify me from being a member here.

Re: now hold on a minute, did you say 'carbon fiber?'

Post by drivermark »

I know this thread is getting kinda old but if this helps http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/ I have done biz with these guys before and they carry pretty much everything you may need for such a project.
I know the voices aren't real, but they do have some good ideas

Return to “General Technical Matters”