idea to build springer to reduce trail a little

Try using this area for frontend information.
Dozer
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Riding for more than 35 years, owned all kinds of Harley's over the years Shovelheads, Evo's Choppers, baggers and sportsters loved them all. More into Choppers lately though i have a FLHX for road trips. made a few custom parts for my Evo chopper, sissy bar, mounts covers and odds and ends, thinking about trying a springer build either from scratch or modified springer using tree's Ive already got. Searching for info on springers is what led me to find this forum, looks like a great source of info and some good people and I'd like to be a part of that.

idea to build springer to reduce trail a little

Post by Dozer »

I wanted to ask a question of some with some experience with building front ends so I thought this is the place to do it.
I was thinking of maybe changing the front end on my rigid and maybe building a springer from the plans here or something similar. I've had this bike 5 yrs, runs great rides good just a little stiff on steering because best I can measure the trail is about 8 1/4" and I'm always changing things on it so thought I might as well work on the front end too, I can always go back if I don't like it.

here's my bike, not sure of the exact dimensions best I can measure I think it's about 6" up 5" out, 45 deg rake with stock Deuce trees.
CD bike.jpg
CD bike.jpg (124.5 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
I thought about just changing to raked trees with a little longer tubes but haven't seen any trees I like as much as these, so started kicking around the idea of building a new front end completely and while measure things up I thought, I like these trees why not use them if I can.
I mocked up this quick model from different models on grabcad to get an idea of what I'm thinking. Not a complete design just a quick concept so I'm sure it's not 100% correct.
I've seen a few pictures of springers like this and I like them as much as a traditional springer and would be different than most, I could make new tube from DOM to mount in the tree and create end caps and rockers to move the wheel out about 3" - 4" and reduce the trail using the same wheel.
Would that make handling worse ? is it a stupid idea or waste of time ?
my_Fork-Assembly.jpg
my_Fork-Assembly.jpg (35.47 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
Probably a fork brace of some type or at least a front fender mount would help now that I see it, I think it's 42" along the fork tube now from the top of the bottom tree to the axle center but not 110 % sure on that I need to measure again.

Just kicking the idea around what do you think...
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Re: idea to build springer to reduce trail a little

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Hard to judge a rake angle from a picture. Around 40 deg? Does it have chopper flop or just heavy steering? Flop usually starts around 40 deg If it's just heavy that should be a good solution. If it's flop ie with the bike vertical and not moving when you turn it so far the wheel pulls itself to the side. Flop is harder to deal with, traditionally either reduce the rake or Sugar Bear style rockers that reduce the leverage of the wheel on the frontend. Or a little on the fringe chain fork stops with springs or tailgate struts.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

The inverted forks look great, but it may be easier to build new trees with more offset and use the forktubes you have now.

If I have this allwrong, please ignore.

http://www.choppercompendium.com/ccforu ... f=39&t=864

^^^^^^^^^Jeff's Build^^^^^^^
Last edited by hansgoudzwaard on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dozer
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Riding for more than 35 years, owned all kinds of Harley's over the years Shovelheads, Evo's Choppers, baggers and sportsters loved them all. More into Choppers lately though i have a FLHX for road trips. made a few custom parts for my Evo chopper, sissy bar, mounts covers and odds and ends, thinking about trying a springer build either from scratch or modified springer using tree's Ive already got. Searching for info on springers is what led me to find this forum, looks like a great source of info and some good people and I'd like to be a part of that.

Post by Dozer »

I have put an angle gauge on the frame and tubes and with the bottom frame rails level the neck and tube show around 43 - 45 deg not sure how accurate that measurement is with a cheap gravity angle gauge but it's some idea.
It is really just heavy steering at speed. I don't have a problem with flop probably mostly because the trees rotate probably only like 25 - 30 deg each side due to the fork stops hitting the frame, they have been ground a little to allow front end to turn and Ive thought about grinding them more if I take the front end off with a angle grinder just to give a little better turning radius.
I'm thinking if this is not just a total useless Idea I can experiment with the rockers length and offset, to get the trail where I want it, thinking 3 -4 " less would be better, I've got a CNC mill so making a few different sets to experiment won't be a big deal to get it right then probably machine a final set with proper bushings and grease fittings to be plated if I like the end result.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Dozer wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:44 am
It is really just heavy steering at speed.
At what speed?
Dozer
NewB

Post by Dozer »

[/quote]

At what speed?
[/quote]

Above 40 it's real stiff, not dangerous just seems tight.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

those inverted springers look pretty but ive heard they don't handle too well however I have never ridden one myself . but with a cnc mill you should be able to experiment with different trees just as easily as rockers . if your looking for numbers and such talk to krymis or customize it both real smart guys . krymis has lots of posts on springers and all the geometry also gary's original build on the cd has tons of info
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Jack your bike up so the front wheel does not touch. Is it hard to turn either way when elevated?
Dozer
NewB

Post by Dozer »

No it's nice and smooth and turns freely, I adjusted the nick bearings when I got the bike they were loose and sloppy
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

My inverted springer rides nice,I can ride with no hands and it tracks straight. I have about 4.5" of trail. I followed a set of plans and used springs called out on the plans. They were not stiff enough. What would happen is that if you steered the forks most of the way to either side, like parking lot maneuvers, the wheel would rock sideways a little due to the rockers moving independently of each other. I overcame this by using very stiff die springs instead. the only negative is that the rockers do not move very much unless you hit a very bad bump, so it is a very stiff ride. Another way to overcome the problem would be to have a bar, or someway to tie the spring rods together. (it could be used as a place to mount a fender if you want one)
While I am not unhappy with My inverted springer, If I was to build another, I would seriously consider using Gary's plans.
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

another way would be to make your axle and rockers perform as a solid unit ! Make flats on opposite sides of the axle and holes to match in the rockers (like the "double D " join in automobile steering shafts) ! With the rocker surface a little "proud" of the ends of the flats on the shaft the axle and rockers will be immovable to each other once the axle nuts are torqued !
Dozer
NewB

Post by Dozer »

Thanks Jim Sawyer, I was thinking about that yesterday wondering how they would act independently, I'd just have t make it rigid enough but Imagine a stiff ride is probably normal for this kind of fork..

I'd like to see yours, got any pics ?
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

one pic while building using smaller springs, the rest are with the heavier springs
Attachments
2055.jpg
2055.jpg (61 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
20170916_085033.jpg
20170916_085033.jpg (142.13 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
20170916_084938.jpg
20170916_084938.jpg (116.14 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
20170916_085001.jpg
20170916_085001.jpg (90.88 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
Dozer
NewB

Post by Dozer »

Curt, thanks I didn't notice your post till jun now for some reason. I'll search for krymis posts for some info. I've thought about making some raked trees too just a bit more money and time, but I might try it too.

Thanks for the pics Jim, very cool front end
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

your very welcome I look forward to seeing your build I love springers
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”