my new seat

Seat making, Saddle Bags, Vests and other Fabric Work Information.
chopper boy
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: HI there, my name is Joe and l live in Melbourne-Australia. I built my very first rigid chopper in 1999 and lam still riding it today. l bought it as a rolling chassis and built it up with new and second hand parts. It has shovel tanks, 80cubic in Evo, 4 speed kick start transmission and 3' open belt drive. I work in the fitness industry but also do some extra work fabricating and welding roll cages for rally cars. l enrolled into a welding course during the evenings in 2000 at my local Technical College. l am hoping to build more bikes with the welding skills l acquired and l hope to gain more knowledge from your website. Regards, Joe.

my new seat

Post by chopper boy »

Just finished my new leather seat, finally got my lazy arse into gear and riveted the leather to the base.
I started fabricating it about 2 years ago. I made the base from fiberglass, put a beading around the edge so that the fiberglass would not cut into the leather. Shaped the foam and glued it to the base, and then cut out the leather and laced it together.
Attachments
000_0973.JPG
000_0973.JPG (196.31 KiB) Viewed 6104 times
Bikesandfires
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a 54yo, fat, balding, bearded motorhead living in the hills of Eastern Ky. 35 year and counting firefighter, retired from 31 years as a crane operator, car nut from birth. I hope my free-mail account doesn't keep me from becoming a member of this message board. Current toys: 1966 Ford Fairlane 500, 1967 Sunbeam Tiger clone project, VW trike project, 18' Thundercraft boat.

Re: my new seat

Post by Bikesandfires »

SHARP!!! I wish I had that skill.. :clap: :clap: :clap:
chopper boy
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: HI there, my name is Joe and l live in Melbourne-Australia. I built my very first rigid chopper in 1999 and lam still riding it today. l bought it as a rolling chassis and built it up with new and second hand parts. It has shovel tanks, 80cubic in Evo, 4 speed kick start transmission and 3' open belt drive. I work in the fitness industry but also do some extra work fabricating and welding roll cages for rally cars. l enrolled into a welding course during the evenings in 2000 at my local Technical College. l am hoping to build more bikes with the welding skills l acquired and l hope to gain more knowledge from your website. Regards, Joe.

Post by chopper boy »

Thanks Bikesandfires!
It was my first attempt, it took a lot of patience and time lacing the top piece and side piece together. I just followed the forum post on the old website on seats and general leather work.
I used a 3metre length of leather lace, next time l will cut it in shorter lengths so it doesn't take as long to thread through. l can then tie a shorter length of lace from the underside of the leather and continue lacing it together. The leather has a crocodile pattern stamped into it, bought it for $40 on ebay.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

CB....never use any more than the length from your hand holding the work and how for you can reach above your other shoulder and shorten that by 6''...You will fray the lace from so much pulling....get one of the contact glue pens, shave the top of one and the bottom of the other....apply glue and press together...I use a small paper clamp and get up and stretch and get a drink....be carefull till you are pass the splice...work it right and the splice will be on the inside....or just glue both ends on the inside ...if you use knots, they will show after you have sat on it a while ...Looks good !
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
chopper boy
NewB

Post by chopper boy »

Thanks Yona, good advice!
I did use some glue to hold the knot down, also trimmed down the ends.
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

very nice work dude :clap: :clap: :clap:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

chopper boy
NewB

Post by chopper boy »

Thanks Maz!
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Looks good, dig the style...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Seats and General Leather Work”