any one done a dohc cb 750 rear hardtail?

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
Builder52
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I worked on, bikes since I was 14, I progressed to cars when I hit the age of 16, now at 52 I find bikes more rewarding to build and with less space now to store my toys ( 3rd house, also the smallest garage) I use parts from anything that I can find to fit, my builds and am rapidly becoming a decent tig welder. Still I dont know everything and find it expensive to build from a catalog. so that is why I am here for the second time. I can only imagine what happened to my old post since I cant find them and very few of the old crew that used to be on here. maybe we can all come back on and share all that knowledge we acquired over the years of building? xp

any one done a dohc cb 750 rear hardtail?

Post by Builder52 »

I got a hacked frame and a couple of wheels and motor for a couple of bucks and it needs a hard tail, b/c of a bad hack job. this frame has a removable right hand side lower engine cradle. I would like to know if anyone else has done a hard tail on this type of a bike ? :think:
rakeNtrail
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just a grumpy old welder/chopperhedd Spent far too much time burning wire for a living but hey, one does have to pay the bills ya know! Worked shipyards and fab shops welding about everything stick, mig, tig and sub-arc. Both hand held and automated. Worked weekends in a Honda shop in the late 70's and in an all bike shop in the late 80's thru early 90's. Likes? Choppers, rock-N-roll, NRA and boobies! Dislikes? PC, VD, AARP & NAACP I'm pro business and totally against big government interfering in our daily lives. Live free or die baby and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Do love little children and puppies though. Both of them can turn me into a 300lb. old softie!

Re: any one done a dohc cb 750 rear hardtail?

Post by rakeNtrail »

For me anyways, I've always felt that the dohc's looked better on a total custom frame,
There's so much to remove from a stock frame to even get close to looking good it's
insane to try and save much more than the neck and numbers. But hey, to each his own.
Here's a pic of a good looking dohc chop. In my eye anyways.

Russ
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I an indepent biker, no offence to patch holders but I can't be bothered with all that tough guy stuff. I'm into old BMW boxers. Low budget builder. I like my family, my bike and not much else. My current project is an r100rs Beemer that was posted on the old chopperhandbook site under the title "Another BMW gets attacked with a hacksaw".

Post by Russ »

Found on the The Horse website. It refers to SOHC hondas so I'm not sure if it'll be any help but it won't hurt look

http://www.ironcross.net/Pages/Chop_a_Jap_Bike.html
Yanclone
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Long time rider and builder. Bikes have included Harley, Triumph, Enfield and a host of rice grinders. Current build is a stroked Yanmar diesel fired hard tail utilizing parts of a SOHC 750 Honda frame. Enhanced a bit with an Aisin supercharger and propane fumigation. Girder forks and Royal Enfield 5 speed gearbox. Problem is, this build keeps getting interrupted by helping my son with his builds. But that whole father-son thing makes it worth the distraction.

Post by Yanclone »

New to the board and couldn't resist the opportunity to respond to this one. My son and I did a DOHC last winter. My role was largely as consultant while he did most of the fabrication. I think he did a great job for being a college age kid. Not quite as easy as doing a SOHC hardtail, but still not very difficult al all. It was done without a jig but be prepared to wear out your measuring tools. Came out dead straight. He rode it out of the shop the night he finished it and it's run flawlessly every since. Not bad for his first major build. I wish I could say the same for my projects.
A few pics were posted over on the Bikermetric blog and those links are below. If you need more details, let me know. And since we're encouraged to list our locations, I'm in north central Indiana.
Ron

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AICbZ9bIa_I/T ... emaker.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TB7BKwgBMGU/T ... emaker.jpg
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

I have some frame plans and plans for the electrical box, if there is any interest...
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
Builder52
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I worked on, bikes since I was 14, I progressed to cars when I hit the age of 16, now at 52 I find bikes more rewarding to build and with less space now to store my toys ( 3rd house, also the smallest garage) I use parts from anything that I can find to fit, my builds and am rapidly becoming a decent tig welder. Still I dont know everything and find it expensive to build from a catalog. so that is why I am here for the second time. I can only imagine what happened to my old post since I cant find them and very few of the old crew that used to be on here. maybe we can all come back on and share all that knowledge we acquired over the years of building? xp

Post by Builder52 »

Yanclone wrote:New to the board and couldn't resist the opportunity to respond to this one. My son and I did a DOHC last winter. My role was largely as consultant while he did most of the fabrication. I think he did a great job for being a college age kid. Not quite as easy as doing a SOHC hardtail, but still not very difficult al all. It was done without a jig but be prepared to wear out your measuring tools. Came out dead straight. He rode it out of the shop the night he finished it and it's run flawlessly every since. Not bad for his first major build. I wish I could say the same for my projects.
A few pics were posted over on the Bikermetric blog and those links are below. If you need more details, let me know. And since we're encouraged to list our locations, I'm in north central Indiana.
Ron

Very nice clean and simple
Builder52
NewB

Post by Builder52 »

yona wrote:I have some frame plans and plans for the electrical box, if there is any interest...
that might be of some help :think:
Builder52
NewB

Post by Builder52 »

rakeNtrail wrote:For me anyways, I've always felt that the dohc's looked better on a total custom frame,
There's so much to remove from a stock frame to even get close to looking good it's
insane to try and save much more than the neck and numbers. But hey, to each his own.
Here's a pic of a good looking dohc chop. In my eye anyways.

I really like that old school look , but have an xs frame i am doing up with a 8+ girder
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Builder52 wrote:
yona wrote:I have some frame plans and plans for the electrical box, if there is any interest...
that might be of some help :think:
http://www.hondachopper.com/garage/legi ... frame.html

http://www.hondachopper.com/garage/sant ... e_box.html

http://www.hondachopper.com/garage/sant ... ctions.pdf
Builder52
NewB

Post by Builder52 »

Yanclone wrote:New to the board and couldn't resist the opportunity to respond to this one. My son and I did a DOHC last winter. My role was largely as consultant while he did most of the fabrication. I think he did a great job for being a college age kid. Not quite as easy as doing a SOHC hardtail, but still not very difficult al all. It was done without a jig but be prepared to wear out your measuring tools. Came out dead straight. He rode it out of the shop the night he finished it and it's run flawlessly every since. Not bad for his first major build. I wish I could say the same for my projects.
Ron

Ron how did it run with those pods on it , I have heard the carbs won't run well with pods, and on your ( or your sons) hartail is your the frame that has a removable right hand side lower frame channel ?
Al
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Thanks for those. I used to have these on my last comptuer & it crashed. It's good for the Future?? Projects.
yona
Conventioneer

Post by yona »

IF ANYONE NEEDS THE ELETRICAL BOX FABRICATED ...LET ME KNOW ! sorry for the large case...to tired to re-do.... ; )
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Hey, I would like to get one from ya. Have a new DOHC motor and ideas.
I can do Paypal.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
yona
Conventioneer

Post by yona »

It will be made by these plans .... if it needs to be different or holes deleted, I need to know, or i can make it and you can add your on holes...I have a turrent punch so it is easy for me ....think I have some thin stainless that you can polish up nicely..... don't know how to price this , my labor is $60 per hr , but we can knock some down.... mild steel is quicker as I just mig it together....Stainless I can fold and spot weld ...tig unit is not working at the moment , but I can have it done ...not that much welding...let me know !
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

like the plans is just fine, I don't have anything but the motor and carbs.
Well, some parts here and there, but no frame or numbers. This will be another part I've collected.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Frame Fabrication”