tube consumption calculations

This section is for all posts concerning frame design and construction.
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

tube consumption calculations

Post by krymis »

Calculations for length of tubing in bend...

Ok to start off you will need an understanding of I used my JD2 model 3 bender for my template 90* bend. I did not do on any other bender nor do I plan to. You need to have an understanding of your bender and the bend process. I will post some reading material links in the comments.

Ok first the calculations understanding you have a bent 90* template and all info written down. Info needed to write down:
cut length of tubing: (I used 24" and denoted as LC)
perpendicular length of leg 1 (leg fed into u strap and denoted as L1)
perpendicular length of leg 2 (leg left after the bend and denoted as L2)
mark length (length from beginning of tubing to mark lined up usually to the beginning of the die and denoted as LM)

1. CLR x 1.04 = CLRA; CLR is centerline radius, CLRA is achievable centerline Radius
- this gives an actual centerline radius of the bending die

2. (L1 + L2) - (CLRA x 2) - O.D. = LF; L1 is Leg1, L2 is Leg2, O.D. is outside diameter of tubing, and LF is total length of flat sections
- this gives an actual length of the unbent sections before and after the template bend

3. LC - LF = LT; LC is cut length of unbent tubing, LT is length of tubing in 90* bend section
- this gives an actual length of the tubing length in the bend

4. (LT x 4) / 360 = LP; LP is length of tubing per degree of bend
- this gives an actual length of tubing used per degree of bend

5. DOB x LP = LB; LB is length of tubing consumed in a certain degree of bend
- this gives an actual length of tubing used for a specific degree of bend

now figure this out for each bend section and add it to your flat sections and you will get a total length of tubing needed. if you add in your Bend Location offset it will let you run one tube through the die without stopping at each bend to check correctness.
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Re: tube consumption calculations

Post by krymis »

so info to help attached
Attachments
56213.pdf
(390.68 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
krymis
Conventioneer

Post by krymis »

you can setup an excel spreadsheet to show all of the measurements.
krymis
Conventioneer

Post by krymis »

A poster you can print out and tape to the wall at your bender

Return to “Frame Fabrication”